WELCOME TO MY BLOG!!!

Just me giving words of wisdom, sharing thoughts and poetry and the occasional health or diet tip! Ok, and may be some other stuff! :)
Not sure what I am exactly doing yet....but it's fun so far!!! So follow me and let's see where this blog takes us!


Saturday, July 23, 2011

Sentimental Saturday.....on time..check it out today, it relates to the hair picture posted yesterday!

When I was young, my hair was very long.  In fact, by the time I was 8 and in 3rd grade, it was past my butt!  One day my mom brought us for haircuts at the local 'beauty palor' (hey, that's what they were called back then, not salons!) .  The 'beautician' (again, a 70s term for what we call now a hair stylist), who also happened to be the owner.  Her name was Stella and of course that was the name of the shop.  She told my mother that I would be bald in a few years if I kept my hair this long because it was thick and heavy, she said it was thinning on top.  The hair's weight was pulling it out at the roots.

Of course my mom flipped and had her cut it.  I went from Crystal Gayle/Cher hair to a Carol Brady SHAG!  Everyone was shocked when I went back to school!   I don't recall, but I probably cried a river!

After that, kept my hair at shoulder length, then the Farrah do's and feathers were in, then the perms....so like any other girl, I sported most of the 'in hairstyles' (except the Dorothy Hamil do).

Now 30+ years later, my hair is reaching my waist.  Then I saw my friend and co-worker Terri, her hair got very long again and she said she was going to donate it to Locks of Love.  Locks of Love

The light bulb went on.  Here is my mother fighting cancer again.  I keep hearing of too many people fighting this horrible disease as well.  I am going to do it too.  I am going to donate my locks!

I saw my hairdresser today and she said I have a few more inches to go.  She trimmed me up a bit and we'll keep an eye on it!  It will be like de ja vu!  I am sure I'll be crying again, but not because I am losing my hair, because I know I'll be helping a child fighting cancer regain their self esteem, feel pretty and confident!
Keep cool on this Sentimental Saturday.
Luv,
Mare
The first pic was taken Friday after Lynda (my hairdresser) trimmed and styled me up!
The next is 2nd grade, but you can see how long my hair was getting already!


5 comments:

  1. Following from the hop. Locks of love is a terrific cause. I am glad you are participating!!!

    Best wishes,

    Clayton
    http://www.claytonpaulthomas.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mare, I think its wonderful that you are doing this. I am proud to have you as a sister in law.
    Your heart is in the right place, and you will still be beautiful after you cut your hair....it will grow back fast! When you are beautiful on the inside it shows on the outside! And you are beautiful on the inside! <3
    love u bunches

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I think that's so great! I'm sure your new haircut would look good too :o) Thanks for hopping over and following, following you back now and looking forward to reading lots more! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for all the comments!
    Luv,
    Mare

    ReplyDelete