WELCOME TO MY BLOG!!!

Just me giving words of wisdom, sharing thoughts and poetry and the occasional health or diet tip! Ok, and may be some other stuff! :)
Not sure what I am exactly doing yet....but it's fun so far!!! So follow me and let's see where this blog takes us!


Sunday, August 14, 2011

Happy 10th Birthday to my daughter Megan

Wrote this 2 yrs ago and posted on Facebook.  It's dated July 30, 2009, that's important to keep in mind while reading this little 'diddy'.  Her 10th birthday was yesterday and had a 'spa' party!

Exactly 8 years ago today, it was a very hot summer morning (NJ was having 90-100 degree weather back then), and of course I was 9 months pregnant (Meg’s original due date was 8/2). On the way to St Barnabas Hospital in Livingston, NJ, I was thinking about becoming a parent of a little girl later that day! Well, couldn’t have been more wrong, let me tell you about the detour!!!

It was Friday, July 27th, 2001 and was already on maternity leave awaiting the arrival of my ‘big’ bundle of joy. I went to the doctor for my weekly appointment and scheduled non-stress test. Having been on bed rest most of my pregnancy and now experiencing borderline gestational diabetes with high blood pressure, a breech baby was thrown in the mix! Due to all these circumstances and being so close to my real due date, the doctor decided to schedule a C-section for the morning of Monday, July 30th, 2001. At least Megan would still be a little Leo!!!!
So instead of going to the last birthing class that weekend, went to the hospital for pre-admission blood work! Up at the crack of dawn on the morning of July 30th and off to the hospital with suitcase in tow. After all the paper work, they brought me to a birthing room and hooked me up to all the IVs and other machines to monitor the baby. Then one of the residents came in to check on me and he also did an ultrasound to check on Megan…….
LO and BEHOLD, she turned and was in position, head pointing down, no more breech baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He said ethically they could not go forward with the C-section, even though I begged them to!!!!

So here I am, disillusioned that my daughter would not come into the world yet.…now here is the ‘cute and funny’ part of the story’.
While walking through the lobby to exit the hospital and venture home, who is entering the hospital?? But…….my mother and sister carrying balloons and gifts!!! You can imagine the look of surprise and almost horror when they saw me (I wish I had a camera)!!! I had to tell them that it was not meant to be on that day…..the disappointment, but I took the gifts back home with me anyway! I remember the bright yellow outfit T got for Megan, it was very nice!
Then, to add to that ‘wonderful day’, while walking out of the hospital to the car, everyone was asking if I was going the wrong way!!! I guess it was painfully obvious that I was so ready to have my little munchkin! After arriving home, more visitors bearing gifts and had to tell them ‘False Alarm’!!!

The next day was payday, so I ventured into work to collect and cash my check (it was before we were forced to do direct deposit and even before online banking!!!). Boy, was everyone in work surprised to see me as well!!!! More explaining to do……………
Megan didn’t make her grand entrance into this world for 2 more weeks!

I guess this ‘little diddy’ will go down as one of those anecdotes I will tell Megan when she is older.
   









1 comment:

  1. What a great story! Thanks for the follow from the LOLWBH- I ma following back! Please come back again next week!
    Ali

    ReplyDelete